[Gllug] NFS replacement

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 17:11:24 UTC 2003

 Hello

 I have a lot of nfs shares on my server, some of them are ports systems
 for OpenBSD and FreeBSD, plus /usr/src.

 Obviously I find myself many times in the situation that I have files
 moving across the network, to the clients, when the destination is the
 server, and the origin is also the server.

 I have the idea that there is no way around it, I don't remenber where
 I got it from though.

 So, I'm hunting for a replacement, something not complicated to use and
 that is "sharp" enough to not use the wires when not really needed.

 I also have this issue with samba at the charity, but in that case I
 would point the finger to the win clients.

 Almost all suggestions welcomed(1).

 (1) I use 802.11b, 10mbit rj45 and bnc. Suggestions to upgrade to
 100mbit will only be welcomed if accompanied with the hardware.

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk