[Gllug] PDAs

Matthew Allum breakfast at 10.am
Tue Feb 25 20:08:23 UTC 2003

on Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 02:22:06PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> - No native ssh client that I can find. Rumour has it that there's a
>   Java one available. But failing that, the only option is to replace
>   Windows with Linux. As you might imagine, I'm mortified at the
>   thought :-)

Its easy nowadays, no risk involved - you can flash strait from a cf
card, even have it dualboot with PocketPC....  And you then have the
choice of X based GPE or the 'more free' version of qtopia - Opie
environments. Both are built on the 'familiar' distro base which is
basically a slimmed down debian. This is where zaurus 'borrowed'
things like its packaging system from and where qtopia was developed
on.

> - You'll struggle to buy an iPAQ with decent Linux support.

Linux has excellent support on the ipaq. There are numerous mailing
lists and irc channels. Both populated with helpful experienced people
, some of which employed by HP and paid to devote much of there time
to ipaq Linux.

>  The only
>   ones available (at least on TCR) are the newer models (3800 and up).
>   Linux support is reasonable (including Bluetooth, apparently) on the
>   3800,

Everything is supported on 38xx's. And most of 39xx's now.

>   but it's sketchy at best on the 3900 and 5400 models. I'm not
>   sure if X works on anything but the 3600/3700 yet.

It works fine on 36xx, 37xx, 38xx, 39xx. 54xx support is on the way (
maybe even with acceleration :-) )

Since I have a
>   3800, I'll be trying a Linux install in due course...

Cool, Im sure you'll like it :-)

> down winner. As it stands, neither will yet let me remotely support my
> machines (which is the purpose of getting the PDA). Once one (or both)
> of them are in a state to do that, I'll be able to make a decision on
> which is more appropriate.

Its also worth noting there are far fewer accesories for the
zaurus. Has it even got a pcmcia adaptor ?

  -- Matthew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk