[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Thu Feb 13 10:38:03 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 22:23, rich at annexia.org wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:35:45AM +1300, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> Most software patents are absurd, but they have very significant
> chilling effects nonetheless. One just has to look at Apple's patents on
> TrueType byte hinting as an example. They found a small loophole in
> patent law so they could get a typeface considered as a program, and a a
> result, I'm now running a build of OpenOffice with a statically linked
> freetype with byte hinting off. This despite the fact that I live in a
> country which does not respect US software patents - the OOO developers
> seem to feel we should all suffer under the idiocy started in the US.*

Is that hard coded, or just a compile option?
Cos you could build it yourself if it's the latter... All you need is the
source, a compiler and a smaaaaaaaaaall aubergine..

:)

> * Yes, I could rebuild it, but it's a major pain, given the way it's
> been packaged.

Maybe you could build it, package it and send the CD to John Winters :)
Unless John sells a version with this feature turned on already.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk