[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Feb 18 13:57:19 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:24:39PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> ["Copy Control technology"]
> I imagine when I get this thing home, I won't be able to play it on my
> Linux box.  Does anyone know a way around this?

*sigh*

As Lessig said at FOSDEM the other day: You cannot legislate morality using
technology.

In fact I'm going to suggest you do something "immoral" (well, illegal
anyway): copy it to mp3 format - that way you can listen to it at home and
at work without having to carry around some bulky disc of plastic.  "We have
the technology!"

See also anti-monopoly-recording-industry labels:
http://www.alternativetentacles.com/
http://www.redeye.com.au/

Not quite "free music" but better than the alternative.

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/