[Gllug] Binary Only Modules are a cheap trick (was webcams on linux)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Feb 19 12:18:21 UTC 2003

On Wed 19 Feb Thomas Charles Robinson wrote:
> Try and contact the vendor sometime. You get (a) no reply or (b) sorry,
> we can't help you at this time. Go away you rubbish vendors!!

Too right.

That said, it can be very difficult to find hardware that has all the
right features, is the right price, and works with your favorite OS.  It
can take an irritating amount of research, especially when it's a bit of
hardware you've never used before.

Invariably hardware compatibility charts are out of date and often list
chipsets rather than manufacturer.  And manufacturers often change model
numbers with regularity, and with no predictable pattern.

I wish someone would open a free-OS only shop on Tottenham Court Road.
Would make life sooooo much easier :)

doug.

--
All programmers are optimists  -- Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://www.britishsteal.com                             doug at pigeonhold.com