[Gllug] NFS replacement

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 21:53:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Tethys stipulated:
> Unlikely. The app will still need to know about it. Potentially, the
> filesystem could have a "copy file" operation, in the same way that
> it has a "mkdir" or "readlink" operation. But the app would still
> need to first check that both files were on the same filesystem
> before invoking that operation. Sounds like a negligible gain to me.

A Sufficiently Smart OS / realtime optimizer / code analyzer combination
could prove that some such chunks of code required no I/O resources save
for the on-the-server files and migrate them across the network to
execute entirely on the server box.

But this is *really* not happening any time soon.

--
2003-02-01: the day the STS died.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk