[Gllug] OT Freedom

George F. Saxby george at gogointernet.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 18:59:13 UTC 2003

Hi,
 I know this is OT but this list I know from experience is very freedom & in
particular data freedom aware.
  I was attending a meeting @ lunch time where a union rep stated that he was
not allowed to use e-mail as part of his union activity within his employers
intranet.  For instance he had to hand out a leaflet to make people aware of
the meeting we were in as he could not bulk e-mail his fellow member within
his own firm. Also that when he did try his mail was filtered or bounced.
	To my mind unless he signed an agreement on terms and conditions of use with
regard to IT equipment ( he states he did not ) this kind of
censorship,scanning etc is an invasion of privacy & therefor illegal.
     I would like to here some concrete terms of reference on this from those
who as part of their job as sysadmins do scan e-mail ie for virus content etc
and what law applies to this & what could be mistaken for invasion of privacy.

TIA

PS if you feel this is a bandwidth hog please reply directly

Bandiera tuxa trionfera,
Evviva il penguin e la liberta
www.saltmine.org.uk

               George F. Saxby