[Gllug] Problem sending mail with squirrelmail

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 6 10:16:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:59:01PM -0000, Andy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm got a server running sendmail and squirrelmail on Redhat.  Its the first time I've used Sendmail (I'm normally a Postfix man) and I've also not used Squirrelmail before.
>
> Anyway, I can read mail no problems.  I can send to my own domain on the box.
>
> But when I try and send outside the server I get a host not found error.
>
> dsn=5.1.2, stat=Host unknown (Name server: relay.clicknames.net.: host not found)

Where do you see this error?  If it's the sendmail logs, is there any
other information relating to the send attempt?

> I can ping the domain, dig looks ok and I've also tried sending to other domains with the same problem.
>
> If I use mailto then the mail gets sent and the log looks ok.
>
> I've checked my resolv.conf and this looks fine.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea for you to be using two new
applications in combination, since it makes it very hard for you to know
which application is causing the problem.  If I were you, I'd replace
Sendmail with Postfix and get it working with that, first.  Then, if you
replace Postfix with Sendmail and have problems, it'll be a
configuration error in Sendmail.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin