[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Feb 12 15:12:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> > Exactly as you do in perl with the use of the "Use strict" pragma.
> >
> > I don't know of any serious perl coder who would write anything without
> > it.
>
> Yes.  This doesn't avoid the implied variable business though.  $_ and
> @_ and friends.

And what is wrong with them. It's fairly easy to understand what they are
and why they are.

Perl is by no means the only language to offer anonymous variables.

> I may be misunderstanding Alain's position, however this is what he
> wrote:
>
> Alain Williams previously wrote:
> > Individual statements can be hard to understand in some languages -
> > this is  +where perl can be difficult - but a comment saying *what* it
> > does is all that is needed.  +If you need to change it, you take the
> > time to work out *how* it does it.

My understanding is that he is advocating commenting to describe where you
use a specific "difficult" statement so as to avoid confusion not every
statement.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk