[Gllug] Linux Firewall on a Laptop

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Feb 5 12:01:08 UTC 2003

On Wed 05 Feb Ian Northeast wrote:
> Bernard Peek wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for a suitable firewall distro. I have an old laptop that
> > I'd like to recycle as a firewall machine. It's a Pentium 133 with 16Mb
> > of memory, a 300Mb hard drive and a Xircom PCMCIA network card. No CD so
> > I'll probably have to install using FTP. I plan to use it with an
> > external ISDN TA on its serial port.
> >
> > I want to use it to replace my current IPCop system, because IPCop
> > doesn't support PCMCIA.
>
> Well this may be heretical but I would use OpenBSD. In fact I do, on a

I'd second that.  I strongly recommend OpenBSD for any kind of network
function, especially as a firewall.

As well as pf being the best packet filter out there, the IPsec support
is the best of anything I have used by a very long chalk.  I've also
found NAT and PPTP serving to be trivial to get working.

altq's bandwidth throttling is also supposed to be good, but i've not
tried it.

And it installs in about 15 minutes.

doug.

--