[Gllug] OT: PC X-Server

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 17:57:23 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, David Pashley wrote:

> Peter Childs said, and I quote:
> Are you trying to run programs on 192.168.0.31 and display them on 192.168.0.77?

	Hmm Yes and No.

> If you are, then you want to start the X server on your Windows machine
> and then ssh to 192.168.0.31, set the DISPLAY envvar to 192.168.0.77:0
> and then run any programs you want to:
>
> For bash you want:
>
>    # export DISPLAY=192.168.0.77:0
>    # xterm &
>
> Of course I may have failed to understand what you want to do, but I'm
> sure that what ever it was requires an xdm clone running on
> 192.168.0.31, assuming the above doesn't work. At this point my
> knowledge of X technology leaves me.
>
> PS I hope you are not wanting to display windows programs on
> 192.168.0.31, cos this you can't do with X and windows.

	Since xdm gives me a login promopt why can't I start X on the
windows box and get it to query the xdm server for a login prompt just as
my Linux based thin clients do.
	If I have to use ssh to login it will make it a lot more complex
to do and will not be stupid for users. why does

X -query 192.168.0.31

run from the windows box not work I don't know.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk