[Gllug] sendmail configuration

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 18 20:16:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 09:08, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> On our network we have a Microsoft Exchange server (mail.mydomain.com) and a
> linux box (linux.mydomain.com).  Mail to the domain xxx at mydomain.com goes to
> mail as set up by the MX records.  Any mail for xxx at linux.mydomain.com gets
> forwarded by the exchange box to the linux box.  The linux box has mail as
> it's smarthost.  This all seems to work OK and all mail gets delivered fine.
>
> User jon on the linux box has a .forward to contains:
> \jon
> jonathan.dye at mydomain.com
> and mail sent to jon at linux.mydomain.com does get properly delivered locally
> and gets sent to mail.mydomain.com for delivery there also.  Now I have
> added the following to /etc/aliases and re-run newaliases:
>
> bugs:	jon
>
> but mail sent via machine mail to bugs at linux.mydomain.com gets delivered
> locally to jon but does not get forwarded back to jonathan.dye at mydomain.com.
> The sendmail logs show:

When sendmail carries out aliasing, if the RHS of the alias is prefixed
with a \, further aliasing is suppressed, and the message is simply
delivered with the local delivery agent. Admittedly, you don't have this
in your aliases file, but the only obvious difference between the two
addresses is that one is being changed by the aliasing code, while the
other is left untouched.

I suppose it's possible that the blackslashed first line is preventing
further lines being actioned where aliasing is taking place. Try
changing it to "\jon, jonathan.dye at mydomain.com" - that might help.
Altenatively, you could change the alias RHS to be
:include:/home/jon/.forward, which may also work around the problem.
Otherwise I'm not sure - I confess to not having looked at .forward
files in a good long time, as my local delivery agent doesn't allow them
any more....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk