[Gllug] What to do about spammer using my email as reply-to

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Feb 20 14:41:44 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 14:31, Matthew Allum wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I've rather worryingly started receiving failed delivery reports to my
> main email account for dodgy porn spam. The spammer is using my
> address in the reply-to :(
>
> I've told my ISP, and apart from filtering it out, is there anything
> more I can do to stop it without getting rid of my account ?
>
> Advice greatly appreciated;

I hate to say this, but just live with it.
The mails should subside over the next few days. The spammers use your
address, then just go onto another one.

This happened to a colleague at a place I worked at once - I gave the
same advice.

Also, I think a similar case was on Slashdot recently.
Here's the link: http://www.techdirt.com/fotr/20030211/0230225_F.shtml

Hope that you're not getting TOO many irate replies.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk