[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 23:47:06 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 20:35, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-984052.html
>
> What does this mean for Mono?

I think the biggest problem with Mono is that nobody actually knows
whether the patents that Microsoft holds are going to effectively
prevent it from working. Call me a cynic, but it may well be in
Microsoft's interest to play along with the free-software/Mono
community, letting us spend a lot of time and effort on it, only to pull
legal rabbits out of the hat when it actually works....

As far as I can see, Java offers everything useful that .NET provides,
without the risk. IMO, it's preferable to persuade people to cde in Java
than for .NET, if they would like any sort of portability.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk