[Gllug] modules.conf question.

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Wed Feb 19 10:52:48 UTC 2003

The Documentation/Changes document from 2.4.20 says this about PPP:

PPP
---

The PPP driver has been restructured to support multilink and to
enable it to operate over diverse media layers.  If you use PPP,
upgrade pppd to at least 2.4.0.

If you are not using devfs, you must have the device file /dev/ppp
which can be made by:

mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0

as root.

If you build ppp support as modules, you will need the following in
your /etc/modules.conf file:

alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

If you use devfsd and build ppp support as modules, you will need
the following in your /etc/devfsd.conf file:

LOOKUP  PPP     MODLOAD