[Gllug] Large hard drives on old motherboards

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Mon Feb 10 10:16:40 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm looking to get hold of an old pentium computer and stick a large hard
drive in it to use for storage.  What I'm not usre about is whether I will
have any problems using a large (say 60Gig) IDE drive with an old
motherboard.
I know there are problems with the bios being able to boot from large hard
drives but I understood that as long as the BIOS could see the partition
with the boot image in it (and the boot image was visible to the BIOS too)
then it would boot OK and when linux loaded it talked directly to the IDE
controller.  So I guess my question is that assuming I am right with the
BIOS issue will I have any problems from the IDE controller and large disks?

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk