[Gllug] [OT] 2013 - The End for SSCs?

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.com
Tue Feb 11 10:08:15 UTC 2003

Just read another interesting article from our friends across the
channel about Gordon Moores introduction speech at the ISSCC
(International Solid State Circuits Conference).

http://heise.de/newsticker/data/jk-11.02.03-000/

According to Moore - Intels founder - the exponential growth rate of
SSCs (aka Moores Law) will see the end of the line within 10 years but
said he would leave the next generation open to speculation.

In the 1960s, when SSC were first introduced, you were happy to fit a
mere 200 odd transistors on a wafer, nowadays it's 10 to the power of
18! The production per transistor equals the printing cost of a letter
in the New York Times today, thanks to the rapid development of
production technologies.

He says that energy consumption and interference on such a micron-small
level will soon prevent us from growing the number of transistors we
can possibly fit onto a wafer however.

Moore left the next generation of technology - e.g. DNS or Quantum
technologies - open for discussion and when asked about them he snapped
"Fifty million transistors for one dollar - who could possibly beat
that?" Although plastic chips made of polymers are propagated because
they are more cost efficient, they can only be an alternative for
producing LCDs.

Bruno Murari of ST Microelectronics reckons that we should create
better interfaces between digital systems and their physical world. The
future - according to Murari - belongs to the analog designers.

Axel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk