[Gllug] endian.h

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Feb 6 10:56:21 UTC 2003

rich at annexia.org writes:

>FWIW I've just ported a load of code which was written on Linux to
>OpenBSD and Solaris, and I'm constantly surprised by how much Solaris
>(in particular) and OpenBSD lack in their APIs. Really basic stuff
>like Solaris not having 'setenv(3)'. I'm amazed that people actually
>prefer to pay money for this crap. (</solaris-rant>)

While I'm not exactly going to defend Solaris, in this case, see
putenv(3c). setenv() is a BSDism, and is not common outside BSD and
Linux. putenv() is required for SuS compliance (and can be found
on Linux as well), and should be considered the preferred interface,
as it's supported almost everywhere -- including on BSD. BTW, don't
mix putenv() and setenv() or Bad Things(tm) will happen.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk