[Gllug] redhat-config-printer: I can't configure a working printer!

Thomas Charles Robinson robinstc at ocean.com.au
Tue Feb 18 13:36:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 11:17, Tethys wrote:
> Thomas Charles Robinson writes:
>
> >I've upgraded to Red Hat 8.0 and now I can't configure a working
> >printer.
>
> I've upgraded to RH8, and boy does it suck! Obvious first impressions:

---8<---snip*rant*about metamail,exmh,metasend,rxvt,xdaliclock,fwm2,etc

> - Why aren't .Xdefaults loaded by default any more? Easily fixed with
>   a line in .Xclients, but still...
I think redhat uses .Xresources (or something of the like) in place of
.Xdefaults...go figure why redhat changes their minds every 6
months...maybe they don't want to be bogged into code bloat (i.e. they
if they decide not to support it in a release, they chuck it out...)

> Anyway, back to your problem... does sending the file directly to
> the printer work ("cat /etc/group > /dev/lp0"). If so, then the
> problem is with the print spooler. If not, then it's with the
> parallel port device.

Yep, I did the cat thing before and got a page off the printer (lovely
stair-stepping text walking off the right margin).

t.

--

You never gain something but that you lose something. -- Thoreau

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk