[Gllug] Handing out flyers this Saturday for the Installfest.

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Fri Feb 14 10:56:09 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:38:39AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 09:55, Peter Childs wrote:
> >

> > 	Anti War if memory serves correctly. Perhaps we ought to find some
> > great item of Open Source software to have come out of Iraq and will not
> > be available if we have a war... (I'm still thinking.......) Then we might
> > be able to get some of them intrested....
>

> I think writing was released under an Open Source license?
> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/iraq010320_writing.html

Umm, no.  The origins of writing within the Near East began as a form of
accountancy.  It was certainly limited distribution.  Later "modes" of
graphical representation were combined to lead to what we call writing.
There were several clean room developments of these representations
using a variety of technology.  I have half a dissertation on this stuff
somewhere ...

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk