[Gllug] Civilization for Linux

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 21:45:36 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:55, David Damerell wrote:
> On Friday, 7 Feb 2003, Doug Winter wrote:
> >On Thu 06 Feb Tethys wrote:
> >>No. What they've done is perfectly legal. It's just not ethical or
> >>(IMHO) a good idea. So I'm not prepared to support it. It essentially
> >>highlights one of the dangers of BSD-like licensing.
> >I'm not sure I would agree that it is unethical though - surely the
> >point of the BSD license is specifically to *allow* this kind of thing.
>
> I think the fact that WINE later switched to the LGPL suggests that
> the developers didn't intend to allow this kind of thing, but simply
> failed to consider the implications of BSD licensing.

Yes indeed. Many people have attributed the vitality of the Linux
community, as compared to the *BSD community as being a direct result of
the GPL. Personally, I agree - I'd be more than happy to release my code
as free software, but I'd be decidedly less than pleased if a commercial
interest then forked it, closed it, and sold it for a profit.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk