[Gllug] Bandwidth monitoring

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Feb 20 16:40:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Ashley Evans wrote:

> I run a proxy (squid) for about 8 or so people I was wondering what good tools
> there are for checking who's using how much bandwidth, maybe applying
> restrictions depending on whether or not I'm using the link. I'd also like to
> have the squid logs compressed at regular intervals, is there an automatic
> tool or do I have to cook up a cron job?

The 2.4 and better kernels have support for various bandwidth management
facilities which should allow you to do most of what you want.

There is a web page somewhere that specifically shows how to do this for
squid however I've lost the link - google is your friend.

Logrotate should be able to handle the log requirements.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk