[Gllug] Handing out flyers this Saturday for the Installfest.

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Feb 14 12:48:06 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>> Politically, Linux, GNU, and Free software in general,
>> have a distinctly left-wing world view (access/equality for all, communal
>> reward for individual effort, etc).
>
>You're confusing "helping others" with political ideology.  There's nothing
>in libertarian ideology which stops people helping each other.  It's just
>not built into the systems they build.

Indeed. Free software certainly isn't left wing. Nor is it right wing.
I may dislike the strong bias in their supposedly neutral test, but I
do agree with politicalcompass.org in one area -- politics is poorly
represented by a simple left/right split. They've chosen to add a second
axis, which varies from libertarian to authoritarian, which again may
not be perfect, but is still a big improvement on what we had previously.
Under that system, free software is definitely libertarian, but not
particularly leftward or rightward leaning.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk