[Gllug] Recycling

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Feb 6 11:48:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 11:45, Stephen Harker wrote:
> Hello
> Does anyone know or recommend a cheap (free) way of recycling old monitors,
> pcs  keyboards etc?
> I don't think it's a good idea to just biff it all in a skip (in fact it might
> be illegal now?)
That's what most people in the UK do.
And AFAIK it is perfectly legal (as long as it is your own skip).
If you want to be a little greener, my local council have a refuse
collection point, where they separate out different types of waste.
IIRC, there was a pile of PCs lying there last time I was there.

At CFC they had a scrap dealer come round with a van who collected
old junk - like rack cabinets, PCs etc.
I think these types collect for free, then sell on anything they can.

ps. any decent(ish) 17 inch monitors?

> I am getting grief from the boss about all the old "crap" lying around.
> Suggestions...
You could put a call out to GLLUG,
but it is very hard work actually getting people to turn up to collect
the stuff they promise they want.
(I did get rid of an old Mac from Framestore to Kim - so good on you
Kim)

Tere was a news item a few nights ago, about an outfit who recycle PCs
and send them on to schools in South Africa. Cannot remember the link -
try the BBC website. They seemed to be taking big pallet loads of PCs
from banks and the likes though.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk