[Gllug] OT Freedom

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Feb 20 19:16:46 UTC 2003

On Thursday 20 February 2003 18:59, George F. Saxby wrote:
> Hi,
>  I know this is OT but this list I know from experience is very freedom &
> in particular data freedom aware.
>   I was attending a meeting @ lunch time where a union rep stated that he
> was not allowed to use e-mail as part of his union activity within his
> employers intranet.  For instance he had to hand out a leaflet to make
> people aware of the meeting we were in as he could not bulk e-mail his
> fellow member within his own firm. Also that when he did try his mail was
> filtered or bounced. To my mind unless he signed an agreement on terms and
> conditions of use with regard to IT equipment ( he states he did not ) this
> kind of
> censorship,scanning etc is an invasion of privacy & therefor illegal.
>      I would like to here some concrete terms of reference on this from
> those who as part of their job as sysadmins do scan e-mail ie for virus
> content etc and what law applies to this & what could be mistaken for
> invasion of privacy.

Don't your basic terms and conditions include a section barring 'carrying on
the business of another organisation using company resources' or somesuch?
Also, allowing the rep to use internal mail addresses may be interpreted as
passing on personal information wrt data protection.

Just my thoughts...

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation