[Gllug] ADSL anyone?

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Feb 4 22:46:30 UTC 2003

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Tue 04 Feb, Wayne Allen wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Am about to bite the ADSL bullet with a Dlink -500 ADSL Router and Demon
>>(24.00 + fixed IP) anyone any comments.... Good/bad ?? (SUSE 8.1)
>>

>    It took BT about 3 days to connect my wires-only ADSL after Demon took a
> month to order it.

Demon managed not to order muy setup from BT untilll I phoned to ask why
it wasn't working yet!

They have an auto answer system set to dissuade new ADSL users from
speaking to a person - my advice is to ignore this.

>    Demon notified me that my ADSL was active about a week after I started
> using it, then billed me for a full Apple-Mac service, and later sent a
> cheque to cover the amount overcharged.

somone I now had huge trouble getting Demon to bill them at all - and
then satrted getting threatening letters !

>    I have seen many reports of very slow data transfer in Scotland and
> Northern England, but this is thought to be a BT problem which they are
> chasing. I have had no technical problems, but their admin is total chaos.

I have had very good connection speeds 58k down 26k up

and solid connection (though DNS went slow for a bit)

I got through to support pretty quick - they claim I set up a password
when I orders the service but I don't remember that

Demon have thier troubles (random routing hell) but they are the
cheapest fixed ip service I can find

and I like the fact they provide mirrors (esp debian) and other public
service tools - time server, network tools etc

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk