[Gllug] .mailfilter syntax error

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 09:52:08 UTC 2003

I'm trying to employ Maildirs for the first time and get the
following error message:-

---------------
msg #1/194 : len 3556 ... retrieved  Delivery error (command
"/usr/bin/maildrop" exited 75  (.mailfilter(3):
Syntax error after )))

Resetting connection and aborting (Delivery error (command
"/usr/bin/maildrop" exited 75  (.mailfilter(3):
Syntax error after ))))
--------------

I've installed Knoppix onto a Hard Drive for trial purposes.
Getmail fetches my email and this works normally if I set
getmailrc to deliver to an Mbox.
Also new is using Maildrop for filtering. If I use no filter
file, Getmail delivers to Maildrop and it in turn places
mail into 'Maildir' in /home/user.
However, when I employ a .mailfilter file (as below), I get
the error and cannot find out what I'm doing wrong.

--------------
john at relay:~$ cat .mailfilter

SHELL"/usr/bin/bash"
DEFAULT="/home/john/Maildir"
if(/^Delivered-To:.*debian-user at lists\.debian\.org$/)
        to Maildir/debian    (on one line)
if(/^Delivered-To:.*gllug at linux\.co\.uk$/) to Maildir/gllug
if(/^Delivered-To:.*getmail at discworld\.dnsalias\.org$/)
        to Maildir/getmail      (also on one line)

john at relay:~$ ls -l .mailfilter
-rw-------    1 john  john  258 Feb 24 14:17 .mailfilter

No syntax error is obvious to me, and I've tried to
permutate all the possibilities I can think of.
Maildirs I created with 'maidirmake -S xxx' and I've gone
over permissions and so forth.

Would someone please set me right.

Thanks,         John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk