[Gllug] webcams on linux

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 22:09:46 UTC 2003

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 15:20, Sean Burlington wrote:
>

>>http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/
>>http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/
>>
>>mine worked 'out of the box' in both  RedHat and Debian
>>
>>but only at a lower resolution than possible
>>
>>to get the full resolution you have to use compression drivers that
>>aren't gpl and so don't come with the distro (but installed without many
>>problems)
>

> Do you know if thee are any cams/chipsets where the GPL driver supports
> full resolution? I'm quite tempted by one, but I'm not supporting
> companies that want to produce binary only drivers.
>
> Mike.

It might be worth double checking the license of the ov511 drivers

or get a low resolution webcam that doesn't need compression for full
resolution ;-)

most parts of the drivers are GPL (its just the compression routines
that they keep protected )

there are a couple of smaller projects out there - but I can't tell you
any more than google can...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk