[Gllug] Library help

Jean Messerlin jean.messerlin at free.fr
Thu Feb 27 12:26:29 UTC 2003

Quoting Matthew Thompson <matt at actuality.co.uk>:
> I'm now getting a "Kernel panic - No init found. Try passing init=
> option to kernel." error and I tink that it's to do with the libraries
> not being on the disk.

What about /sbin/init? The kernel can't load it.

> Using the version of ldd that comes with uClibc I have found all the
> libraries needed but I'm unsure as to one thing
> the output from it is as follows:
>
> tinylogin: is setuid
> 	libcrypt.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/libcrypt.so.0
> (0x00000000)
> 	libc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/libc.so (0x00000000)
> 	/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 =>
> /usr/-386-linux-uclibc/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x00000000)
>
> What I'm usure of is why the first two libraries show just the file
> name in the first half of the output but the last one shows the full
> path - is the application looking for a hardcoded location for that
> library and if it is is there an easy way to change this?

ld.so is the dynamic loader/linker. I don't know much about it, but having its
name hardcoded in the program makes sense: it's the library which will
dynamically load the others according to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and /etc/ld.so.cache.
(BTW shouldn't it be i386 instead of -386).

Jean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk