[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Feb 12 11:50:38 UTC 2003

rich at annexia.org writes:

>* Java is almost the worst possible language for implementing a project.
>  I would never recommend it for new projects, at least not while
>  superior quality alternatives exist like Perl, Python, CAML, etc.

Much as I dislike the hype surrounding Java, even I wouldn't go that
far. Perl, Python, CAML and others are all worthy languages in their
own right, but Java does offer some advantages. Odd though it may
seem, I'm going to claim performance is one of them. Perl's "write
only" nature immediately rules it out as a serious language for
implementing a project, IMHO. Python is much better, but is it
really suitable for a large application server, for example? My
personal opinion is that a suitable scripting language is usually
the right choice for small or perhaps medium projects, and C is
hard to beat for large projects. C++ and Java just don't do it for
me, I'm afraid. Both have some advantages over C, but neither have
sufficiently compelling advantages to warrant putting up with their
flaws. Just MHO...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk