[Gllug] NFS replacement

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 18:41:19 UTC 2003

Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Dylan wrote:

> On Monday 24 February 2003 17:11, Formi wrote:
> >  Hello
> >
> >  I have a lot of nfs shares on my server, some of them are ports systems
> >  for OpenBSD and FreeBSD, plus /usr/src.
> >
> >  Obviously I find myself many times in the situation that I have files
> >  moving across the network, to the clients, when the destination is the
> >  server, and the origin is also the server.
>
> You mean you are copying from server.box:/directory1 to server.box/directory2?
> Why don't you just ssh the server and do it that way. Alternatively, scp might
> offer something.

  None of those would help, imagine this scenario, you have the
 kernel-source.rpm in server, then you try to install it, but /usr/src is
 mounted in server:/usr/src. If you kick rpm from the client, you will
 have the files moving all over the place.

 This is an example, obviously if both machines are running linux you
 could go around it, by installing localy, but not all can be done in that
 way.

 I don't want a work-around, this issue is old, so I suppose somebody has
 managed to fix it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk