[Gllug] Bandwidth monitoring

Simon Andrew Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 16:31:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 16:18, Ashley Evans wrote:
> I run a proxy (squid) for about 8 or so people I was wondering what good tools
> there are for checking who's using how much bandwidth, maybe applying

You can measure with iptables counting rules on the squid box, something
like:

iptables -A INPUT -s machine1 -p tcp --dport 3128
iptables -A INPUT -s machine2 -p tcp --dport 3128

> restrictions depending on whether or not I'm using the link. I'd also like to

You could do this using linux advanced routing, see

http://www.lartc.org/

for more than you want to know. I use a simple token bucket filter to
share out ADSL bandwidth more equitably when my other half is furiously
peer-to-peer filesharing (:

> have the squid logs compressed at regular intervals, is there an automatic
> tool or do I have to cook up a cron job?

I always found logrotate to be simple to use and ideal for such things.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk