[Gllug] OT: PC X-Server

David Pashley david at parguild.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 17:48:48 UTC 2003

Peter Childs said, and I quote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Tethys wrote:
>

> > Dan Kolb writes:
> >
> > >Alternatively the Cygwin XFree86 port also works nicely. However, the whole X
> > >server is displayed as one Windows window, with the applications sitting in a
> > >Window Manager inside this window. Exceed, IIRC, gives each X application its
> > >own Windows window.
> >
> > Actually, I far prefer running in a single window, because then I can
> > run my window manager of choice, rather than be lumbered with Windows'
> > inflexibility. In particular, my hotkeys for raising, lowering and
> > iconifying windows, and for starting up a new rxvt make me significantly
> > (i.e., probably 2 or 3 times) more productive. Plus I can't live without
> > focus follows mouse. Yes, you can tweak Windows to do that too, but it
> > still raises the window when it becomes active, which loses you most of
> > the gains you had.
> >
> > Exceed is quite nice, if pricey (last time I looked). It does, however,
> > have some font issues. In the past, I've been happy with MI-X, which
> > used to be free, but these days costs $25 (although the expiry on the
> > trial version is easily thwarted).
> >
> 	I still can't get this too work (cygwin that is). when I start it
> with
>
> X -query 192.168.0.31 -from 192.168.0.77
>
> (where 192.168.0.31 is my thin client server and 192.168.0.77 is my
> windows box)
>
> all I get is a shrinking grey X like screen it crashes multiple times..
> shrinking each time and a message in my xdm-errors such
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
> parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  54
> X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
> parameter)
>
> repeated once for each time it shrinks.
>
> 	What is the problem and how do I fix it? I did try asking this
> question on the LTSP mailing list but did not come up with a good
> answer....
>
> Peter Childs

Are you trying to run programs on 192.168.0.31 and display them on 192.168.0.77?

If you are, then you want to start the X server on your Windows machine
and then ssh to 192.168.0.31, set the DISPLAY envvar to 192.168.0.77:0
and then run any programs you want to:

For bash you want:

   # export DISPLAY=192.168.0.77:0
   # xterm &

Of course I may have failed to understand what you want to do, but I'm
sure that what ever it was requires an xdm clone running on
192.168.0.31, assuming the above doesn't work. At this point my
knowledge of X technology leaves me.

PS I hope you are not wanting to display windows programs on
192.168.0.31, cos this you can't do with X and windows.

--
David Pashley
david at davidpashley.com