[Gllug] [OT] Linux question - core dumps

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Sat Feb 15 23:48:56 UTC 2003

Sorry to post an off-topic question to this political discussion group ...

I have a server which is running as 'nobody' (actually it starts running
as root and setuid/setgids to this user). It is running in a directory
called /tmp/cores/ which is 0755, chowned to nobody.nogroup. I've also
called 'ulimit -c unlimited'. Despite this, the server refuses to dump
core if it crashes. This is really annoying because it makes it very
hard to debug the server (it crashes about once every 5 days).

Any ideas how to force it to dump core???

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj