[Gllug] Library help

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 16:55:36 UTC 2003

As a follow on to my attempt to find a nice small firewall I've decided
to make my own - partially following the briding firewall route
suggested here but on Linux instead of OpenBSD (Didn't like the command
line disk partitioning but that's another matter.

I've got a neat litle disk made using BYLD
(http://byld.sourceforge.net) and a load of tweaking to get it working
with my RedHat 8.0 PC here - 920kb of compressed code consisting of a
2.4.20 kernel with networking and drivers compiled in, busybox and
tinylogin with a few other bits and pieces to make up a filesystem.

This booted happily until I decide to migrate the whole build over to
uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org).

I'm now getting a "Kernel panic - No init found. Try passing init=
option to kernel." error and I tink that it's to do with the libraries
not being on the disk.

Using the version of ldd that comes with uClibc I have found all the
libraries needed but I'm unsure as to one thing

the output from it is as follows:

tinylogin: is setuid
	libcrypt.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/libcrypt.so.0 (0x00000000)
	libc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/libc.so (0x00000000)
	/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 =>
/usr/-386-linux-uclibc/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x00000000)

What I'm usure of is why the first two libraries show just the file
name in the first half of the output but the last one shows the full
path - is the application looking for a hardcoded location for that
library and if it is is there an easy way to change this?

tinnylogin and busybox both show the same thing here and both natively
support compilation ith uClibc - it's an option in their Makefiles.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk