[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

James Tullett jamest at iotia2.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 07:36:47 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 14:03, Tethys wrote:
> Rev Simon Rumble writes:
> >Not actually my CD, one of my work colleagues owns it.  I was going to
> >buy the album as I'm massive fan of ADF.  However considering I won't
> >be able to play it, I'll likely end up downloading it.  Gee that was
> >effective wasn't it, EMI.
>
> Personally, I'd buy it anyway, and take it back to the store. That way,
> it'll send a message to EMI that you bought it and weren't happy with
> it. If you just don't buy it, they'll never know...

Don't forget to send a __polite__, but extremely frank letter telling
the label owner what you think of their "copy protection" policy(1).   The
returns from the shop may merely make them believe that there are some
manufacturing problems requiring ironed out.  Tangible feedback from end-users
may make them take notice.   At least to the point of saying to each other:
"Linux users --- fsck them"

--
James Tullett
<jamest at iotia2.demon.co.uk>

(1) as far as the conventions of "good manners" permit.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk