[Gllug] NFS replacement

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 12:34:39 UTC 2003

Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Stephen Harker wrote:

> > On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Walid Shaari wrote:
> > > Why don't you do it from the server then in the above scenario ??!
> > >
> > > mmh! may be I haven't understood your problem yet! sorry!!
> > > put If I have an rpm repository and I want to install an application t I
> > > might do this
> > >
> > > rpm -Uvh ftp://remoteserver/rpmpath/rpmfile
> > >

> > > but I might be just brain dead this evening :(
> >
> >   That is a true statement. I clearly stated that WAS an example to
> >  illustrate the situation. I didn't mentioned OpenBSD and FreeBSD
> >  just to add a bit of color.
> >
> > > can you rephrase what the problem is in here?
> >
> >  Not really cause I don't have a problem. I just have nfs not implementing
> >  what I want. All I asked was for alternatives, not ways of fixing what
> >  is not broken or a way to work around it.
>
> Well with posts like that it will be a miracle if anyone will ever bother to
> suggest anything for you again. I know I probably wont.
>
> Steve

 For that same reason most of the time I think about asking something in
 the list I don't. I'm not the brightest of guys here by a mile, but
 I think the subject of the mail and the content specified clearly what
 I was asking for. Opinions not work-arounds.

 A lot of mails are answered in this list with "change your hardware, use
 x that is no good(1), ..." are not helpful. So when I asked for
 something expecting to get that kind of answer(1), I get answers that
 don't apply.

 On the true statement there was no will to insult, Walid suggested it.
 Could be swapped for "if you say so".

 As usual Tet has come out with an answer that satifies me, thanks.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk