[Gllug] OT: Switch

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue Feb 25 10:31:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 10:17, Neil Fryer wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I know that this is really OT, but these are the best places for info. One
> of my SysAds has gone and put 2 new switches on our network, but didn't
> assign IP's to them, or change passwords or anything, and these are hosted
> an hours train ride away from my office,

You don't say which brand of switch.
For the switches I have used, the management interface doesn't generally
assign to a default, IIRC.  If it did on this brand,  the default would
likely be in the 192.168.x.x range. This would not route back over the
Internet anyway, and even on a private network there is unlikely to be
the correct routing set up.
Get on a train or get in a taxi. And take a laptop and a serial lead
with you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk