[Gllug] PDAs

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 14:07:04 UTC 2003

Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm looking at getting a PDA. iPAQs seem to be the way to go. I'm looking
> for a fairly beefy PDA that I can run Linux on.
>
> The old Sharp Zaurus is a contender, but I'd like built-in blue tooth. iPAQs
> seem the most common target for a Linux implant, but I'm only interested if
> I can get all the features to work (particularly blue tooth). I do need
> something that will "just work", but I do enjoy the opportunity to tinker
> (hence Linux). While my chequebook is not bottomless, I've already steeled
> myself to spend real money if need be.
>
> Can anyone report on their mileage with Linux (native or otherwise) on PDAs?

I have used the Zaurus much more extensively that Linux on ipaq

on the Zaurus.

It is a doddle to upgrade or install a new kernel / os
It does just work
There is some great software available that runs on both the ipaq and
zaurus.
I have the development zaurus which is a bit short on space; however the
production ones have double what I comfortably use.
It is very much plug and play with everything I have used with it
infra-red to phone (both dial-up and image transfer), the wireless card
(buffalo) was detected and ran immediately.
There was no windows tax.
I have never felt cramped by its abilities in two years, apart from the
battery and that was solved by buying another.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk