[Gllug] Binary Only Modules are a cheap trick (was webcams onlinux)

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 22:43:28 UTC 2003

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 10:16, George Saxby wrote:
>
>>Ah, but would you pay a slightly higher price to cover the research involved?

[SNIP]

> If, however, I was the proprietor of such a ship, I'd be very aware that
> it would be trivial for people to wander into the shop, make notes of
> hardware models, and then buy from dabs or some other place that could
> undercut a small shop. So while I would make the effort myself, I'm not
> sure the business model is sound. It basically relies on people to have
> the integrity to realise that the research time has to be paid for, and
> that such a shop could only continue to exist if the customers were
> prepared to back it up with cash.

bookshops seem to be surviving since amazon

they offer a preview service at a premium price - but most people having
found what they want tend to buy it rather than go home and order it
online...

personally I'd buy some stuff from such a shop (and it wouldn't even
have to be open source only - as long as they labeled stuff reliably)

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk