[Gllug] webcams on linux

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 18 22:38:59 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 22:20, Dylan wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 19:48, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > but I'm not supporting
> > companies that want to produce binary only drivers.
>
> What, exactly, is the problem here? If we support companies who provide
> drivers, GPL or otherwise, then the companies who don't provide any drivers
> at all are more likely to get the message.
>
> I'd much rather have a functional piece of hardware with binary only modules,
> than non-functional hardware!

Your choice. If I was happy with binary only stuff, I might as well go
back to using Windows - there's no real difference. I don't consider
companies that provide binary only stuff to be "supporting" Linux, and I
won't give them my money. I'd rather have no driver than binary only -
that way people who want the hardware to work tend to reverse engineer
an open source driver.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk