[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Feb 12 14:46:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> I think there is a fundamental difference in perl, which is to do with
> the implied data storage.  Someone else (I can't remember who) made the
> analogy with FORTH - because all the changes to data happen "off the
> page" (in the case of FORTH, on the stack) you have to "run" the code
> in your head.
>
> Most languages explicitly avoid this problem by only allowing named
> variables, and using strict scoping rules.  These give the languages are
> more verbose "narrative" quality that makes it far more maintainable.

Exactly as you do in perl with the use of the "Use strict" pragma.

I don't know of any serious perl coder who would write anything without
it.

> Comments are, IMHO, a bit of a red herring in my view.   Code should be
> understandable without them - comments are there to provide depth to
> understanding and explain what is intended (which is not necessarily
> what is achieved).

Indeed and for that very reason good comments make for maintainable code
while undocumented code that works but doesn't produce expected results
doesn't.

It's quite possible to have code that is correct but contains a logic
error leading to errors as you no doubt know. Having a comment in place
saying "this bit should to this..." helps to identify these - particularly
for the person who later has to fix the original problem.

> If you have to put a line of comments for every line of code to explain
> what it means, then that code is bad.

And this is relevant how? Nobody is advocating that.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk