[Gllug] Mozilla unsupported?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Feb 21 14:37:04 UTC 2003

On Sat 22 Feb Jonathan Harker wrote:
> Dear Marks & Spencer's web designer,
>
> Please can you remove your unnecessary "unsupported browser" check
> from your website.
>
> By using some proxy trickery that fools your site into always seeing
> IE as the user agent, the following browsers display your site
> perfectly (including the mostly unnecessary Javascript):

It can be a bit trickier than this to test if a site works or not.

We recently tried Asda's online shopping (we normally use Sainsbury's,
but they've been having some problems with their servers which often
make the site unusable in the evening).  It worked perfectly right up to
the final "Submit Order" page.  This didn't work in Opera, Mozilla,
Galeon or Konqueror using any amount of tomfoolery.

Since we don't have any Microsoft systems at home, eventually I had to
VNC into a Windows server at work and use IE to click on the "Submit"
button.

The site seemed to work perfectly in other browsers to start with too,
otherwise we wouldn't have even bothered trying.  grrrr.

Obviously I emailed them, and also obviously I've had no response.

doug.

http://www.britishsteal.com                             doug at pigeonhold.com
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
...computing's central challenge, "How not to make a mess of it," has not
been met.  -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, March 2001