[Gllug] [OT] Linux question - core dumps

Chris Wareham chris.wareham at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 16 21:39:03 UTC 2003

rich at annexia.org wrote:
> Sorry to post an off-topic question to this political discussion group ...
>
> I have a server which is running as 'nobody' (actually it starts running
> as root and setuid/setgids to this user). It is running in a directory
> called /tmp/cores/ which is 0755, chowned to nobody.nogroup. I've also
> called 'ulimit -c unlimited'. Despite this, the server refuses to dump
> core if it crashes. This is really annoying because it makes it very
> hard to debug the server (it crashes about once every 5 days).
>
> Any ideas how to force it to dump core???

Add a -d (or similar flag) that tells it not to setuid to nobody. In
other words get it to run as the invoking user without disconnecting
from the terminal. Then run it as an unprivileged user, and wait for the
core dump. I'm assuming that if it can run as nobody, then it can run as
any user - or does it bind to a low port or something before dropping
privileges? If so, can you recode it to take an optional port argument?

Chris
--
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.wareham/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk