[Gllug] redhat-config-printer: I can't configure a working printer!

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Feb 18 11:17:02 UTC 2003

Thomas Charles Robinson writes:

>I've upgraded to Red Hat 8.0 and now I can't configure a working
>printer.

I've upgraded to RH8, and boy does it suck! Obvious first impressions:

- Where did metamail go? exmh is useless without it, and how else can I
  script sending mail with MIME attachments? metasend was a godsend.

- Where did rxvt go? And xdaliclock and fvwm2? It's as if someone at
  Red Hat went "Hmmm. What does Tet's desktop look like? OK, we'll
  remove all of that from RH8, then" :-)

- Why aren't .Xdefaults loaded by default any more? Easily fixed with
  a line in .Xclients, but still...

- What no image viewer? The default image viewer has changed with
  virtually every recent version of RH (xv -> ee -> eog). To make it
  worse, eog just plain doesn't work. I've had to switch to gqview,
  which is pretty lcunky, but at least it works.

Anyway, back to your problem... does sending the file directly to
the printer work ("cat /etc/group > /dev/lp0"). If so, then the
problem is with the print spooler. If not, then it's with the
parallel port device.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk