[Gllug] Install problems again

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sun Jan 12 04:39:37 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:06:22PM -0600, Sarah Ewen wrote:
> >And one other question: is anyone on this list using linux on a mac?
> >I'm having trouble finding decent information about that. Main question
> >is whether Linux-from-scratch will work on a G3 iMac.
> >

> Yup - I've been running Debian on my G3 iBook for ....er, nearly a year
> I think. It rules.

I have run and will be running again soon Gentoo for PCC, its a source
based distro but don't let that put you off.  Without getting into a
distro war I have tried both Debian and Gentoo and found the later to be
an easier and cleaner install.  I am currently running OS X and building
up a strong dislike of it.

> I did an http install (in fact I re-installed the whole thing over this
> Christmas holiday) and it works great: X, wireless networking,
> keyboard... :)
>
> If you follow the guidelines here, you can't really go wrong:
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html
>
> You should absolutely use the BenH kernel if you want stuff to work.
> Some advice...

Definitely the Gentoo standard kernel is based on it with some cute non
standard patches built in.

> There are two things you can't forget:
>
> 1. When configuring your (benh) kernel, do NOT select raw ADB keycodes.
> It might seem like a good idea, but only if you want to log in as
> "sswj". *bad*.
> 2. Don't forget 'append "sends_linux_keycodes=1"' when setting up yaboot
> (lilo equiv.). Or you'll suffer the same fate and hate yourself for
> hours fixing it. Explanation why:
> http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

Done those it hurt, RTFM Mr Bailey. ;)

> On a slightly off topic note...when I re-installed recently I
> re-installed Mac OS X too and switched back to HFS+ instead of UFS. Mac
> OS X seems to be a *lot* happier running on HFS+..and some useful apps
> like Palm Desktop require it.

Iam working on getting MOL (mac on linux) running next it allows you to
run OS 9 and OS X under linux in emulation.  Similar to UML (user mode
linux).  The docs for this are a bit ropey however with several steps
apparently missing from from the docs I have hunted down on the web.  If
anyone has already done this and knows a good howto or other links,
please let me know.

> Fink for Mac OS X is getting pretty complete these days too, which means
> that even under Darwin you can easily run X with blackbox, or
> enlightenment even if you're feeling crazy...with Gnome or KDE.
> Installing it is almost too easy (even for us mac users, yeah yeah). And
> it's all apt-getty. Sweet.

Tried fink and it wouldn't play nicely, or even at all for me, I will
worry about getting it to work in another life.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk