[Gllug] OT: Windows network auditing software

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jan 16 14:09:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:44:03PM -0000, Neil Fryer wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I need to audit our LAN, and I need some software that is free to do it, any
> recomendations? Basically I just need to see who's got what installed on
> their PC's?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Neil Fryer

I've not meet any free tools that do this, just plenty of commercial ones.

A quick and easy way would be to connect to each machine's registry and
have a look at the keys in the Uninstall section:
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

This is the list that is shown in the Add/Remove Program control panel.

Of course this won't cover older DOS or Win16 programs, those with
badly written installers, and most viruses and trojans.

For NT/2000/XP machines you may even be able to automate some of this
with the Win32 API in a C, Perl or Python program.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk