[Gllug] Linux vs Mac resident graphics and DTP?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 00:34:26 UTC 2003

North London John wrote:

> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 02:19  pm, Matt Amos wrote:

> > me too. i've been running about ~9 months without any real problems.
> > except the fscking Apple winmodem...
> >

> Ugh. That's a nasty surprise.
> Is it just the iBook modems that are sabotaged, or does this apply to
> all Mac Modems?

It had never occurred to me before to try the modem in my G3 iMac
(Debian 3.0), as I use a cable connection via an OpenBSD router with a
backup ISDN link via a Linux router, so the Mac just uses its ethernet.

There appears to be a modem or an apology for such in the machine, as
there is a telephone connector (RJ11, US style), but I cannot get any
joy out of it from either cu or minicom. Trying to access ttyS0-3 all
result in "no such device". So either I have missed something, or it is
indeed a software modem - the term "winmodem" does not seem quite
appropriate:) The telephone connector isn't connected to anything, but
if there were a real modem there it should still be possible to connect
to it and get a response from "AT".

I have seen a number of NG posts referring to the presence of a modem on
ttyS0 on an iMac. Mine doesn't seem to have one. Maybe earlier Macs are
better? I'm not sure what the exact model description of mine is, but
it's a 400MHz G3 with slot loading CD and appears to hail from 1999 (as
per OpenFirmware).

BTW I have never experienced a soft modem on a PC. Is the behaviour I
describe - apparant total absence of serial port - what would be
expected?

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk