[Gllug] ADSL and DHCP woes - solved.

Chris Wareham chris.wareham at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 4 13:06:42 UTC 2003

Just in case anyone else buys the D-Link DSL-300G+ ethernet ADSL modem
(what a mouthfull ...) here's a few pointers to get it working. Upgrade
the firmware to the latest version available at the D-Link FTP site.
This seems to cure problems which prevent Unix machines with the ISC
DHCP client from getting the correct IP address. Only one machine (or
more accurately one network card) can configure and use the modem. The
modem stores the network cards MAC address, and uses that to determine
which machine gets the ISP assigned IP address. More than one network
card can use the modem if you spoof the MAC address to always be the
same - Linux certainly supports this, but I haven't tried it under
NetBSD. There again I don't know whether Linux uses the same DHCP client
as *BSD, so it may not have problems with the modem in the first place.

Now the modem's working, it's great. Far less hassle than the BT
supplied fishy thing!

Chris
--
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.wareham/