[Gllug] New user needs help

john cundy sc0060960_2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 10:29:38 UTC 2003

I have just installed Linux red hat 7.3 for the first time ( I have
developed a healthy dislike of windows XP).
It boots with LILO  and is configured to start with GNOME which all
seems to work fine - except for 2 problems.

I cannot get the printer to install using the printer configeration
utility. The queue sets up ok and my printer is in the list but I keep
getting a print error message.
On booting at the start lpd line the following appears 'localhost IP
address not available'
The only alterations I have made were to the following two files to make
Gnome start on booting up.
/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain     john-comp (I added the john-comp)
/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=YES
HOSTNAME=john-comp    (I  changed localhost.localdomain to john-comp)

john-comp appears to be what my computer is named in winXP and I had to
change the files to get GNOME to start when the machine boots.

The second problem is playing CD's. The sound appears to be configured
correctly, the soundconfig check worked and I can get 'windows sounds'.
When I put a CD in to any of the players it is read ok and I get track
information, but when it plays there is no sound, despite the counter on
the player confirming the track is playing. I have no idea what to do
with this as the linux for dummies and linux-complete books don't seem
to help.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?
Sorry if these seems basic but years of taking the windows options of
yes or next seem to have dulled the mind a bit.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk